Friday 24 July 2009

The philosophy of fashion

I suppose because I write a blog about dressing up, it could easily be assumed that all that fills my head is clothes and shoes and other matters of style. And while I'd freely admit to being completely fascinated with what people wear and how they wear it, I have other fascinations too.

One of my other fascinations is philosophy. The endless rumination about how we live our lives and how we can learn to live better lives by examining how we live now and we have lived in the past is something that adds meaning and insight to everyday humdrum existence. Much like the human preoccupation with adorning ourselves.

One of my favourite philosophers is Alain de Botton because he makes philosophy so much more accessible and less fusty and academic than most. So when I found this video on Style.com of him holding forth on the importance fashion to society, I thought I'd share it.

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.