Monday 23 June 2008

Status update: D&P is sewing

Well, cussing a lot, actually. And sewing. So I've moved on to a slightly larger DIY project - the summer skirt - this week. One that requires the use of a sewing machine.

It's been a while since I dragged out the ol' faithful, so I'd forgotten just how exasperating setting it all up is. Not to get too technical:

First you have to spool thread on the little doo-hickey that goes in the hidden undercarriage bit of your machine. But before that you have to take it out of this hidden undercarriage which - if you're as rusty as I am - could take hours.

Then, when said doo-hickey is full of thread and safely replaced (another five hours of fiddling) you thread the sewing machine's needle - which, of course, is infinitely more complicated than it sounds.

When all that is done, you can sew your skirt by fitting the pieces of cloth together inside out - unless you're me - in which case you will sew the wrong sides together and have to take them apart, just as you're running out of thread from the little doo-hickey in the hidden undercarriage compartment...

Gah! I can hand sew faster than this! Give me strength!

The good news is, I'll have a lovely summer skirt to play with at the end of all this. Photos then.






Sewing machine. Torture device. Whatever.

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.