Monday 31 March 2008

The weekend that was - Part 2 Sunday [AKA dressing appropriately for the occasion - a cautionary tale]

Sunday was a beautiful day; the sun was shining, the birds were singing, the sky was blue. I crawled out of bed and thanked God for the relatively mild hangover considering the carnage of the night before. After drinking a much needed vat of coffee and doing a leisurely brunch, the bloke and I decided to get the bikes out and go for a ride around.

This is where things got interesting. Blame it on the weather but for this endeavour I decided it would be wholly appropriate to wear the following:
  • cream ditsy print summer dress
  • vintage denim waistcoat (vest if your American)
  • black leggings topped off with patterned socks
  • black leather bomber jacket
  • cream leather dolly flats

It was a cute little summer outfit and on this day, for almost any other undertaking, it would have been fine.

The bike ride was lovely. I loved the wind in my hair and the sun on my face. There was one particularly long, windy, uphilly bit that I had to get off the bike and walk up, huffing like an old steam train and cursing my crappy lungs and general lack of fitness, but for the most part it was great fun. In my mind I was one of those whimsical images of pretty ladies riding bikes in the summer, with baskets at the front. Preferably in Amsterdam.
This is sort of how I wanted to look

In reality, once we hit the forest dirt track nothing that I was wearing was quite up to the sheer amount of mud-splatter. It was everywhere; all up my back and down my legs, covering my pretty socks and miring my pretty shoes.

I ended up looking more like this!

Next time I go bike riding, I'm wearing a nice dark tee, a water-proof, wipe -clean kagool, old jeans and some sturdy boots and definitely no cream coloured anything. Let this be a lesson to you.

Totally gratuitous vid of Bicycle Race by Queen:


The weekend that was -Part 1

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.