Tuesday 16 October 2007

What to wear with with knee highs

It' s not often that I'm asked my opinion on stuff but it's always good to hear from people. Here, J has a question about knee high socks.

J said...
I'm new to the blog and loving it! I would love to wear knee high socks, but I'm not sure what to wear them with?? Do I wear it with a pleated skirt for the schoolgirl look??


First of all, loving you too J. It's great to get something in the comment box and you asked a question... So cool! On to said question:

My thing about the knee socks is that they go with anything as long as they're showing. I generally like to wear them with skirts, dresses and shorts to add a little interest to an outfit.

For colder days (and if you're feeling adventurous) you can layer up with over-knee socks or tights in a corresponding or contrasting colour.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the schoolgirl look but that's got more to do with the fact that I'm a grown up and I don't really want to look like a schoolgirl. Also, the whole "school disco" scene - where grown women dress up in slutty replicas of their old school uniform purely for the titillation of the men folk - means that schoolgirl has queasy-making connotations for me.

Having said that, there are classier ways to pull it off, take SJP here:


Love that patterned black and gold mini skirt with the stripey-long sleeved tee and long line cardigan. I think it's also nice to have a heel, you're legs look less dumpy that way. Okay, the gloves are overkill.

Here's a pic of other people rocking the knee socks. See? They go with any. thing.:
Images via (left to right): Painfully Hip, Style Bubble, Streetpeeper, Style Bytes

If I haven't totaly put you off the mere mention of socks with my meandering, rambling, then send in a pic of your look. I'd love to see it. Readers.

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.