Friday 20 November 2009

Junk junky

There are few pleasures in life to me than finding a huge junk shop and then foraging for hours, just ferrting about, looking at stuff, imagining who might have used it before. A packed to the rafters junk shop to pass hours is almost a invitation to meditate. A personal journey away from the humdrum routine to a place of wonder and magic.

I visit good junk shops when I have the chance, and I do it early and preferably alone. But until this very minute I had never thought that the junk shop experience could be experienced online. That is, until I got an email introducing me to the delights of Supermarket Sarah. And I have to say it's instant love.

The site is a mess of random items/bits of tat/desireables from clothing to accessories, vintage to contemporary, works of art and bric a brac all flung together in the most delightful and pleasing way. It's almost as good as a real-life rummage. Fantastic.

It get's better from December 1 to 15, Supermarket Sarah is setting up shop in the east end for Christmas shopping extravaganza. All that stuff just waiting to be touched, rummaged through and meditated over. Punters will be provided with golden trolleys (huzzah!) and shown around by freindly shop assistants.
I'll be off to the launch of Dec 1, where I hope to picking up something ridiculous by Fred Butler, like this rocket bra. Fear not, I will report back on all the kitschy glory.

Supermarket Sarah Christmas Extravaganza at Poke, 4th Floor, Biscuit Building, 10 Redchurch Street, E2 7DD. Open by appointment, 9.30am to 6.30pm.

If you can't make it down there you can still get the full virtual junk shop experience on the website.

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.