Monday 12 January 2009

Style and Spirit

I went to see The Spirit at the local cinema over the weekend. Seeing as it was written and directed by Frank Miller, I was hoping that it would be as good as Sin City. Alas! It was not.

It was good in it's own way though, and really gorgeous to look at, but I found the dialogue particularly tedious and the story... Well, it was just a whole heap of crazy. Sometimes that's not a bad thing but it's an aqcuired taste of the "so bad, it's good" variety.

What I liked most about the film was the styling, which was excellent. It had a kind of 40s/Hollywood glamour look running through which worked for me. My favourite characters were Silken Floss, played by Scarlett Johansson, and Sand Serif played by Eva Mendez.

Silken Floss
She's sort of an intelligent gangster's moll character. Deadpan and batshit crazy.
The look
Shiny blacks and severe greys with quirky accents like biker hats and cats eye glasses and exposed underwear. At one point there was also a Nazi uniform (yeah, that sort of crazy).
Sand Saref
She's the bad girl, jewel thief with a tragic past, who loves shiny things, especially diamonds.
The look
Her style is full on Hollywood bombshell glamour and impeccable grooming. Lots of gowns, figure-hugging skirt suits and bling. 

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.