Sunday 11 January 2009

Clown face

I have to admit to an ongoing love/hate relationship with make-up. I love checking out the new season's looks just as much as the next girl but when it comes to translating the looks onto my skin, I just can't seem to get it right. 

I'm not completely inept. I can do a passable smokey eye and I'm a dab hand with the flicky eyeliner but I'd give anything (okay, maybe not anything, but a fair bit) for the ability to create a little drama with my make up bag; to be totally transformed. 

The problem is for black skin you need a lot of pigment and most high street brand colours won't cut it. However the more bespoke make-up counters are not cheap and (in the UK at least) lack expertise with doing up darker skins. I once tried going into mac in Covent Garden for some pointers for a more dramatic look. I came out with a make up brush, some foundation powder and some eyeshadow. In brown. Gah!   

Anyway today, in my ongoing refusal to give-in in the face of a fixed outcome, I tried to create a strong eyebrow and an intense wash of colour to my lids like the fashion pundits have been going on about. (Click image to enlarge).
If the look I was going for was Bozo the Clown, I think I managed it.

NB: In case you're wondering how I got the Polaroid photo effect, check out the Poladroid app here

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.