Thursday 30 October 2008

Dressing in De Stilj

Oh dear lord, it's almost the weekend again! Why, do I exclaim, you exclaim - in your mind - with a question marks popping off like fireworks behind your eyes? (Yes, feeling rather poetik ovah hia. Join me, hmmm?)

Well, I was going to do a little update on my weekend of Kultcha in lovely Norwich and here we are with a nother weekend approaching. Honestly, I don't know where the time goes, or why there's so little of it.

I spent the weekend with quite a lot of art actually. But I was particularly struck by the Constructed exhibition at the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts. Among other works were a few from the Netherlands art movement De Stijl (The Style). I'm not going to bore you with a lecture about De Stijl but if you want to know more about it go here.

I was captivated by the paired down abstracts, the use of geometry and lines and the strict palette of black, white, grey and primary colours yellow, red and blue. It was.... soothing. Apparently, this is supposed to be the desired effect as the De Stijl is supposed to be all about purity and spirituality and wholeness.

Looking at the work, I was struck by how the primary colours lent a playful, childishness to the rigidity lines and of the monotones. It made me think about what it would look like to dress in De Stijl. Monotones, shot through with a bit of colour would be perfect for work and maybe it would have a calming effect on my hectic day. It didn't really but I looked like a Mondrian while I worked my arse off! (Click on images to enlarge).

Grey boat neck dress, Next
Yellow polo neck and stripey cardigan, H&M
Grey beret and red neckwarmer, thrifted
Red shoes, Schuh
Grey tights and black legwarmers, Primark

PS: I've got another outfit that I just haven't had the time to get off the camera, but as soon I can I'll post it.

TO ADD: See the other outfit here

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.