Wednesday 24 September 2008

A genius night

Yesterday evening found me in Camden attending the launch of the BBC Two series - British Style Genius. BSG is a five part documentary on all the things, people, quirks that make British style what it is.

I only got to see snippets at the screening but it looks comprehensive enough, taking in everything from high street to street, haute couture to total rebellion.

It's got a line up of the usual suspects - Kate Moss, Twiggy, Mary Portas, Vivienne Westwood, to name a few - and it probably won't tell you anything you don't already know but I'm looking forward to consuming it the same way I do magazines. For the images and for the inspiration and because it'll be a welcome relief from watching some WAG or other pretending to know anything about fashion.

Of course, because I have no planning skills whatsoever, I turned up without a guest (schoolboy error) which meant that I had pretty much condemned myself to walking around like Billy-no-mates, hoping that I'd catch the eye of some sympathetic soul who would talk to me.

Despite all appearances, I really find it difficult to meet new people - they don't call it breaking the ice for nothing! Luckily, I ran into the lovely Susie from Style Bubble and her bloke Steve from Style Salvage and proceeded to shamelessly stick to them both like a desperate limpet.
Susie and human limpet

I also met Rebekah Roy from Stylist Stuff; pint- sized, people person, Courtney Blackman, who also happens to be co-founder of the Fashion Business Club; and fashion writer, Phoebe Frangoul - who recently went freelance after a spell at Glamour.com.
Phoebe and Rebekah

Everyone was so friendly, I soon lost all shyness and we were all chatting like old friends. Or maybe that was the cocktails...

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.