Thursday 31 January 2008

Online shopping picks - 31/01/08

Remember Late night shopping picks? Where i used to trudge around the high street on a thursday evening looking for any new and interesting things that might have hit the shops in the past week. Notice how I haven't done them lately? There's a simple reason for this: It's hard work.

But I don't want to leave you high and dry with no idea of all the lovely things you can obsess about (and maybe buy) on the weekend and since the bulk of my shopping is increasingly done online these days, I've flipped the script slightly. From now on I'll be doing a weekly online shopping picks, hence the title.

I ruff you
So, this week I have mostly been feening - and been provided with ample opportunity to pine - for all stuff ruffley and girlie. The shops are filled with gentle rustle of silk and chiffon and the gentle shush-shushing of layers of gossamer material rubbing against each other. As usual, ASOS hog the trend by presenting a shedload of ruffles and florals and manage to combine the two in a not-at-all-bad Lipsy blouse. Could this turn out to be my first real purchase from ASOS? The suspense must be unbearable for you.

For more ruffle action, check out Dorothy Perkins, Matalan, Topshop and Monsoon. Meanwhile, Principles is coming on all nautical and nice with a cute navy blue circle skirt. All the better to swoosh you with, m'dear. Pity about the the white striped PU belt that comes with. My advice: get rid of it and replace with a nice wide red leather one. The ASOS Premium centre buckle sash belt, £22 looks pretty cool (see accessories below).


Clockwise from top: Topshop ruffle-sleeve dress, £35; Dorothy Perkins ruffle front blouse, £28; Matalan butterfly print dress, £18; Principles circle skirt, £45; Lipsy tie neck blouse, £45 at ASOS; Monsoon tiered cami, £45

Accessories and other bits
If ruffles aren't your thing, fear not. Bag yourself some accessories instead. Over at River Island, I spied a gorgeous leaf choker, while All Saints and Love Label at Additions direct offer up cosy, slouchy knits. I especially like the oversized purple tabard with skinny yellow belt from Love Label, if only it weren't acrylic.

Anyhoo, you can't go wrong with Faith's girlie grey t-bars with a cute little bow but if you just can't stand the twee, grab a pair of demi-wedge gladiator sandals instead. Apparently, Victoria Beckham has a pair just like them (yes, that put me off too. Note to ASOS: I know this is how you used to sell clothes but you can stop it now, the plebs are gone).

Clockwise from top: All Saints slouchy cardigan, £75; ASOS Premium belt, £22; Faith grey peeptoes, £55; River Island leafy necklace, £12.99; ASOS gladiator sandals, £40; Love Label tabard, £29

Click on images to enlarge

See more good stuff

Outfits of the week

About me

I like pretty dresses, high heels, the colour red and good writing.